LATEST UPDATE: Omo Onile: A Threat To Property Development In Nigeria
I am a civil Engineer, I do building designs and construction, property development and procurement too. I have worked across several cities in Nigeria- Abuja, Lagos, Oyo state and Ogun state to mention but a few. My challenges are nothing but the activities of the 'omo onile' (sons of the soil). Of all the numerous project I have worked on particularly in the south-west region of Nigeria, this has been a common and constant challenge which I feel is a threat to property development as investors are been discouraged by their activities
After the purchase of land, the prospective builder is expected to pay some amount of money before starting excavation for foundation(tagged 'Owo Foundation' ie money for foundation). This continues at every stage of the construction project; from foundation, concrete oversite (german floor), lintel, upper floor slab, block works to roofing. They even go as far as collecting money for finishes like plastering, rendering and tiling.
It doesn't just stop there, they also collect money from all skilled labours that come to work on site- masons,carpenters, iron benders, plumbers, electricians etc. Money for sinking of borehole is not exempted, digging of soakaway and septic tank, fencing and mounting of gate too have to be paid for. The menace of the activities of 'Omo Onile' inadvertently adds up to influence the cost putting it on the high side which in my own opinion is not fair.
Can there be a lasting solution to stop these actions?
Thanks for Reading The LATEST UPDATE: Omo Onile: A Threat To Property Development In Nigeria
SHARE WITH FRIENDS

