LATEST UPDATE: Silly Mistakes Job Applicants Make That Keeps Them Unemployed.
We know for a fact that unemployment is a big challenge in Nigeria and most countries around world. But what of a situation where it has been proven that a whole lot of job applicants are their very own worst enemies. Most of them are quick to blame the government and government policies for the high unemployment rate but what about if they take a few moments to realize they are the very reason and architect of their current status.
As someone who is in the business of “staffing” for small and medium sized businesses (most of which I do free for clients just to help contribute my little quota in solving the rate of unemployment). I have discovered that the majority of Nigerian youths actually do not deem it fit to know the basics of proper job hunting, its dos and don’ts.
A whole lot to be said but because of time I will try to limit this article to the “Reasons why so many job applicants never succeed in getting that job”.
Below are some mistakes job applicants make that make them still remain jobless:
FAILURE TO INCLUDE A COVER LETTER:
No one and I repeat no one wants to receive a blank mail with only an attachment. When you attach your CV without a cover letter, it just gives the impression that you are lazy and not serious in getting the job. You wouldn’t even send such a mail informally not to talk of sending such to your supposed employers. If such a mail is opened and treated it is either the HR team has enough of time and patience or they are in dare need of staff to help solve some pressing in-house task.
USING SLANGS IN YOUR APPLICATION LETTER:
Just yesterday, I received an application letter for a job vacancy for a client in the Legal Services and guess the first thing I saw in the letter? It was “wats up?” Can you just imagine? I knew what was up was to toss that application to the trash bin.
I don’t care whether you are a professor or the most qualified man for the job in the entire Nigeria. What I know is there should be dignity and professionalism in whatever one tries to embark on. That fellow might have been the most experienced and best man for the job, but he/she blew it because the person assumed he/she was sending an informal letter to a classmate or buddy. You won’t even send such an application to a director of a modeling firm or producer of a movie production then why send such to apply for a post in a Law firm? That was so silly.
TYPING IN SHORT TEXT:
Over the years, this form of typing is what I have always kicked against both for formal and informal mode of communication. The damage caused by typing in such text is just too numerous to mention. First it kills your written English skills, it makes you appear immature and unprofessional, and also it limits your chances of being chosen for a position or favour you are requesting for.
I have seen so many intelligent people fail exams they obviously passed all because their answers were in short form. I personally ALWAYS STILL toss mails or letters sent to me in such manner either applying for an application or seeking for any kind of request. Call me callous; it really doesn’t matter. What matters is that I won’t get a migraine in trying to understand someone’s letter or message. If you don’t have the time to type correctly and clearly, then you sure don’t have any business in getting the job or request. My motto is: “ONLY SERIOUS MINDED INDIVIDUALS ARE WELCOME HERE”
SCATTERED FONTS:
Has anyone sent you a mail they copied from Microsoft Word document only to open the mail and discover that the whole fonts are scattered. Scattered to the extent that you can’t even make out a single sense from the message. You have fonts flying all over.
When you are sending your CV please do yourself and your supposed employers (HR Company) a huge favour by attaching your cv. That way, when they have to download it, it opens well arranged in a Microsoft Word page.
No one and I repeat no one will ever take out time to arrange your CV for you when they have to attend to multiple of other job applicants.
KEEP YOUR COVER LETTER SHORT AND SIMPLE:
When sending a cover letter alongside with your CV, please try and keep it as short and detailed as possible. Nobody wants to read another man’s life history all in the name of sending a cover letter.
I believe some things (so many) do not take rocket science to know. All that is needed is the right reasoning. Blaming the government for the high rate of unemployment isn’t really fair as so many (and I repeat so many) job seekers are actually their own worst enemies.
Thanks for Reading The LATEST UPDATE: Silly Mistakes Job Applicants Make That Keeps Them Unemployed.
SHARE WITH FRIENDS

